Google+

Robotman Comics...Good Ol' Fashioned Comic Fun!



My pal Chris Duffy (Editor Extraordinaire @ Nickelodeon Magazine) has posted a wonderfully silly comic book adventure featuring Robotman on his "Comic Books are Interesting..." blog.








Spoilers lurk below this paragraph,
so go read
"Robotman Around the World in 24 Hours"
before you spoil it by reading
my dopey comments.
______________




How freaky is that scene on page 3...Doc Payne is basically raping Robotman...yeeesh!



Love these one-liners:

"Not even mountains can stop me!" --that's my new motto

"If I'm lucky, my head will roll free, undamaged! Here goes!"
...and of course, "Tarnation!"






I love the structure, too! Great, exciting opening splash panel followed by a framing sequence that makes you go "Whaa?" I thought the head-in-the-box gag was a fantastic hook...I wonder if David Fincher ever read this comic...?



It all adds up to good old fashioned silly comic book storytelling. I mean, once started, nobody could STOP reading this story no matter how hard they tried!



What? You didn't read it yet? Well click on over and have some fun! 








More info on the Golden Age Robotman HERE
The Unofficial Biography of Robotman


Jerry Siegel's Golden Age Robotman

4 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

I've seen a couple of Robotman stories from the golden age, and they are always fun stories like this one.

As much as I like Cliff Steele/Robotman in Doom Patrol, it was nice to see this post (and a fun reminder that this version was part of All-Star Squadron in the 1980's).

Thanks, Sherm!

Mike Nassar said...

great post sherm. you're right about not being able to stop reading. each panel kept me hooked into the next. cool drawings and simple and silly quick story.

cool find!

Sherm said...

Hi Mike...Howdy Chuck...glad you guys liked that Robotman goodness! Make sure to bookmark Chris Duffy's blog cause you never know what kind of comic book treasure he'll pull out next. See ya---sherm

Anonymous said...

Sherm:

Love it. And the opening to this robotman story is especially evocative and memorable.

Also thanks for leading us to Chris' extremely cool blog.